Meet the Blogger

Tuesday 29 July 2014

My Mercedes Benz

Umbrella With Premium Insignia!

It was a perfect day to leisure around due to a public
holiday on the occasion of Eid-ul-fitr. Woke up little late and after a quick breakfast and glance through the newspapers, decided to get my wardrobe organised.

Suddenly, behind heaps of clothes, I came across a
fourteen inch long barrel wrapped neatly with several layers of newspapers that appeared almost like a grandmother's parcel! Curiously, unpacked the stuff and then discovered it was the Mercedes Benz pocket umbrella which I remembered putting it out of sight ever since I bought it at the the eleventh Auto Expo held at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi on January 2012.

The reason behind keeping it off from public view was
primarily due to the guilt of purchasing it at a prohibitive price unknowingly which I realized only after scrutinizing the bill and SMS on the transaction sent in the mobile by my bank on reaching home.

For the first time I took a close look at it and examined it from every angle. The two-fold telescopic umbrella is definitely made of high quality spokes, designer waterproof fabric and an elegant polished wooden handle.

The wooden handle sports a black square metallic button in the side that enables the umbrella to open up at a press and a big logo of Mercedes Benz at the tip. Holding the umbrella gives a premium feel and appears it had been manufactured with utmost precision just like its range of automobiles.

At the Auto Expo, there were several pavilions set up
by almost all major global automobile manufacturers. The Mercedes Benz was one of the topmost pavilions which had maximum footfalls. During the seven-day event, I had made few attempts to visit this pavilion but gave up due to the serpentine line.

On the final day, I decided to come to the venue early morning and squeeze up sometime to visit this pavilion in particular. To add up extra spice to the event, dozens of international models were flown in and each stood modelling besides different Mercedes variants displayed.

After viewing a variety of sedans, off-roaders, sports,
hybrid and concept cars, I moved across a stall selling Mercedes Benz memorabilia. From calf-links, tie pins, caps, key chains, badges, bags, jackets, umbrellas, etc all with the Mercedes Benz logo in it. The counter appeared to be pretty crowded with fashionable young men and women and a couple of models too walk passed that encouraged me to do some quick photography.

I had spotted an umbrella and asked the price. And I heard the person responding with an accent and a smile, "Sir, this is 378/-..." Although I thought it was slightly expensive compared to such varieties found in the open market, but then, I felt it was fine considering it buying at an event like this plus, I would hardly get time to go shopping for an umbrella. 

Having decided my mind, I flaunted my debit card at
the counter and within seconds the amount got debited and the umbrella inserted in an elegant paper bag turned out to be my new possession. It was only after reaching home late evening I realized the blunder I had made - the original price quoted for the umbrella was of four digits and I had missed just the last one! This drove me to hide the umbrella completely from public view and best way to forget about the episode.

But today I realised that this is a wonderful piece and also a remembrance of my visit to one of the world's best premium car manufacturer's pavilion. Even if I can never own a four-set of wheels of this brand in my life, but who cares - I have atleast a Mercedes Benz umbrella. Let the Delhi monsoon rains start and I am surely going to flaunt it!   

Video clips related to the Auto Expo:
















  

No comments:

Post a Comment