Meet the Blogger

Saturday 6 July 2019

BeAware Malware

BeAware, a Suspicious Malware!

Of late the very thought of opening my laptop and getting into work was making me feel lethargic as the machine appeared somewhat slow while certain applications kept on crashing all of a sudden. Initially, I had attributed all these symptoms to the upgradation of MacOS from High Sierra to Mojave and however, believed that gradually it would normalise. 

Months had passed but my machine was not any better that only further drifted me away from it. Had done all the standard diagnostic drills too but it was not of any help though. 
The BeAware malware

In my MacBook Air’s launch pad suddenly I had noticed a strange App with the name ‘BeAware’ which had a logo of a bee. I tried dragging it into the trash several times without any success nor was it visible in the Application folder.

I kept on wondering how did this strange App land up in to my launch pad as I had no knowledge of downloading it. Clicking this App would just flash for a fraction of a second with no results and then would remain in the dock.

I Google searched about this BeAware and checked up the Apple community link. Here I was shocked to learn that this was a suspicious surveillance malware that had globally hit MacBook Airs on 14 December 2018! It makes its entry in one’s laptop without seeking any permission which slows down the machine.

In the Apple community page, users projected various tips to get rid of this malware but it was simply not working for me. Some users suggested to download and run Malwarebytes or Etrecheck - a diagnostic tool. 

I had downloaded Malwarebytes which could only figure out this BeAware in the Activity Monitor. To delete it from the system, Malwarebytes suggests to download the pro version which has a price tag of around 3,000/- INR.  

The Activity Monitor
I decided to visit Asia’s largest computer market at Nehru Place, New Delhi for a solution. Most tech people here after examining my machine had only one common suggestion - format my SSD (Solid State Drive). I was extremely reluctant due to the various softwares, plugins, audio effects, projects, etc that were installed which would make me go crazy. 

Had also visited a couple of authorised Mac Service centres. Here, one has to make a flat down payment as service charge plus additional for any hardware, etc which hurts the wallet. At the back of all this, they were also remotely advising to format the machine.

Felt completely dejected and returned home. After a couple of days on a weekend I decided to take it as a challenge to locate this BeAware bug and remove it from my system. It was a tedious process of minutely going through numerous folders, but the end result was just rewarding. Finally, I was able to locate and drag it into the trash. Now my machine has become good as before!

Here is the method which I had dicovered that should take just five minutes to get rid of such stubborn malware from any mac computers:


  1. Go to the Activity Monitor and disable the BeAware. The procedure of going to Activity Monitor is:- Go to ‘Finder’; in the menu bar on top select ‘Go’; In the dropdown menu select ‘Utilities’ and then click ‘Activity Monitor’

  1. Go to desktop; In the top lefthand corner of the menu bar, click on the ‘Apple’ icon; Select system preference; Click ‘Users & Groups’: Click 'login items'; Tick check box of the 'BeeActive’ malware and click the minus sign ‘-‘ in the bottom to remove it

  1. Go to desktop and click the ‘Macintosh HD’ icon; Select the ‘Application Folder’ and then straight drag the ‘BeeActive’ malware into the trash
The dropdown menu from MacHD

These three essential steps will free any mac computers from such malware.



Hope this helps to all mac users whose machines have been affected by such malware. 

The bottom line is that all such exercise has turned out to be a great learning and most importantly, I have saved my precious data and softwares as well as money.

An advise to all mac users is that in Apple’s system preference, always check in the ‘Firewall’ under Security & Privacy. Feel good doing all of my own and hope this experience helps other users.

Screen shot of my Launch Pad


No comments:

Post a Comment