Meet the Blogger

Sunday 7 May 2023

Recalling Loss of an Aunt on 8th May 2006

A Family's Emotional Journey through Grief and Saying Goodbye!

As I reflect on that fateful day in May 2006, my heart still aches with the raw pain and sorrow of loosing someone so dear to me. Every detail still etched in my mind, the dates and days matching exactly with the year 2023, intensifying the memories of the tragic loss.

The scorching north Indian heat seemed to match the intensity of the emotions that were running through my mind and soul as I rushed to Kailash Hospital in Noida, a significant distance from my Delhi residence.

Despite being my day off from work, my mind felt heavy, and nothing seemed to 
change. I had visited my dear aunt at the hospital on Saturday, only to return home late at night. 

On Sunday (07-05-2006), Robin, a beloved family member, had come to visit, but he had to leave abruptly to return to his base station at Andaman due to exigency of work.

On that Saturday and Sunday, seventeen years ago, the hospital was abuzz with well-wishers who had come to greet and wish my aunt a speedy recovery. But as the day wore on, her condition deteriorated rapidly. The senior doctor in charge had no answers to explain why my aunt's voice had suddenly stopped.

The next day, Monday (08-05-2006), I had an early morning shift at work, which coincidentally fell on Mother's Day. My HR department had organized a caption competition for all employees, which I had won a prize. 

My winning the second prize for caption writing felt like a small victory in the midst of difficult times. May be it was proof to the HR department that I was a valuable employee, even if I had missed significant hours of work due to my aunt's hospitalisation. But let's face it, no matter how much HR tries to act like they care, at the end of the day, those private corporate types are counting every penny they give to their employees. 

As the day progressed, my phone was flooded with messages and calls informing me that my aunt had been shifted to the ICU. 

At precisely 02:25 PM, my shift ended and without a moment's delay, I rushed to the waiting office cab which was destined for Kailash Hospital in the Noida area.

By the time I reached the hospital, it was too late. My aunt was already under artificial ventilation, with several electronic devices and monitor screens beeping incessantly. My cousin was standing beside my aunt, holding her right hand tightly, and tears streaming down her face as she told me how her hands were slowly turning pale blue.

Despite the efforts of the medical staff, she passed away that day, leaving a void that could never be filled.

I was devastated to see my cousin, Munmun, breakdown on top of Maima. Meanwhile, Mamu went downstairs and started smoking like a chimney.

As I saw my cousin in despair, I approached my uncle and suggested he should go back to be with his daughter. But when I mentioned how upset she was, my uncle replied with a sharp retort, "If she's upset with loosing her mother, then I'm equally upset loosing my wife. So what's the difference?..." The irony of the situation was not left on me, but I knew that humour was the last thing on his mind at that moment. 

In the midst of this emotional turmoil, a group of nurses tried to push me into making a decision about removing the pacemaker from aunt, despite my cousin not being in a position to discuss it.

I remember asking the nurses to wait, but they went ahead and capitalized on the family's emotional state to remove the pacemaker anyway. It was a feeling like a sinister and heartless act.

As the daylight dwindled, we made a decision to keep my aunt at the hospital's mortuary until the following day when we would take her for cremation at the Lodhi Gardens crematorium in New Delhi.

In the days that followed, the emotions ran high, and it was hard to come to terms with the reality that my aunt was no more. I stood by my uncle and cousin in their grief, relying on the natural bond we shared since our childhood days in Shillong.

Today, I remember my aunt with fondness and love, cherishing the memories we shared. May her soul rest in eternal peace and may her memory always be a blessing to her loved ones.
                               
        
                            







No comments:

Post a Comment